Sunday, June 8, 2008

street kids

I was doing my stuff at an outdoor cafe when a frail-looking street kid held up some fragrant sampaguita leighs and begged me to buy it, narrating at the same time some sob story. Curious about his otherwise innocent life, I inquired where his parents were. He said his mother works as a streetsweeper, replete with his signature pouting face and an impressively melancholic look in his eyes you'd think he just got his certificate on drama and acting workshop. I also asked how many they are in the family. I can't recall the number, but did remember my shock at hearing how many his brothers and sisters turned out to be.

Soon his buddy, a hyperactively plump bundle, joined in to make a crowd. Apprehensive about medicancy and giving money to these innocent ones, I decided to buy banana chips (the least chemical-laced chip in the counter) instead to treat the three of us. The store guard tried to shoo them, and I in turn shooed him away. Soon, we were having a time and I decided to take them a pic, which they more than willingly obliged as obviously shown by their eskewed faces.



The night pic may be blurry, but definitely their innocent, joyful countenances are as clear as a sunny day.

Soon, his plump buddy did a prank dash with the chips, and my streetkid friend gave a chase as they noisily disappeared towards the streets of Davao...

No comments: